Cruze Discussion General Chevrolet Cruze discussion.

Brake override? Issues? Crashes?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 08:20 AM

ZoSoCreedy is on a distinguished road
Question Brake override? Issues? Crashes?

I just crashed my '94 Olds 88 Royale into a Silverado head on after trying to take a right off a parkway and I believe my brakes (master cylinder) and/or control arm failed (50MPH IMPACT?). Needless to say Im lucky to be alive but now looking for a new USA car within budget and safety. I would just like to know if any current US/Canada owners have had any issues or experienced the 10 airbags, lol. Also what is up with this brake override system?
Thanks, ZoSo

Last edited by ZoSoCreedy; 02-04-2011 at 08:22 AM. Reason: SPELLING
Old 02-13-2011, 11:35 PM

VENOM is on a distinguished road

My Bonneville has 6 and I've seen some incredible walked away crashes shown on the GMForum I've in. The way I see it, in very bad crashes, the more bags the better.;

The Cruze's new brake override system makes use of it have a drive by wire throttle. So it can electronically control it in the event both the brake and throttle are hit at the same time. This has become known to be the largest incident of causing "sudden acceleration" Simply, the system overrides the throttle and only allows the brake to function when both peddles are hit. So even if the throttle pedal gets stuck under the floormat like some of the instances, if the brake is hit, the throttle signal is killed.